Director of Operations
Time and again, MoveOn.org has changed the face of politics in America by harnessing the power of the Internet and our 7 million members. We've taken on hugely ambitious state, local, and national issue campaigns—and we've won. We've proven that progressive candidates can fund and power their campaigns primarily through grassroots online efforts. And we've powered innovative new ways to organize around issues from health care to clean energy, from gun violence to net neutrality.
Position Overview: MoveOn is seeking a dynamic and talented Director of Operations to support the work of the Executive Director. This is a senior-level strategic role overseeing and optimizing day-to-day operations throughout the organization, including human resources / staff development, financial, and legal operations. This role manages and works closely with key outside contractors (Chief Financial Officer, Finance Team, and Operations and Compliance Contractor). Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Operations identifies internal opportunities and challenges and works across departments and teams to come up with highly innovative solutions.
This is a full-time, exempt position.
Manage Human Resources / Staff Development, Finance, Legal, and Governance for MoveOn.org Civic Action (a 501(c)4 nonprofit) and MoveOn.org Political Action (a federal Political Action Committee). "MoveOn" in this document refers to the staff and operations of both entities.
Staff Development and Human Resources:
- Develop and implement systems for staff training, development, and evaluation
- Manage MoveOn personnel policies and operations
- Support ongoing review and development of organizational structure, management practices, fiscal policies, and internal controls
- Oversee all personnel records, payroll, and benefits enrollment and administration
- Facilitate effective communication, accountability, staff retention, and programmatic success within the organization by helping to create an internal culture that promotes initiative, appropriate risk taking, learning, creativity, cooperation, equity, and mutual respect
- Manage emerging priorities and projects as needed
- Oversee the work of our key external contractors (Chief Financial Officer, Operations and Compliance Contractor, and Finance Team) to ensure effective financial management of the organization
- Ensure all organizational activities comply with requirements for quality management, legal stipulations, and general duty of care
- Support the Executive Director in leading organizational and project budgeting and financial forecasting, and provide relevant financial information to the Executive Director and Board of Directors
- Oversee management and processing of member donations, payments, and related activities
- Review annual audits and tax returns, as well as produce annual business and organizational development plan and others as requested by the Executive Director
- Oversee tax filing to all relevant agencies
Legal and Risk Management:
- Oversee all legal functions, ensuring regulatory oversight and legal compliance
- Oversee all aspects of organizational insurance
- Serve as organizational liaison to legal counsel
- Support strong relationships with all non-compliance regulatory agencies
- Maintain and oversee legal documents: letters of agreement, contracts, etc.
- Provide a high-level of support to inform decisions the organization makes around both legal and financial risks and exposures
- Support the Executive Director to guide the organization through strategic planning and long-term organizational development
- Proactively identify internal opportunities and challenges and work with staff managers and the ED to address them and find creative solutions
- 5+ years of progressively responsible operations experience or equivalent, preferably in a 501c4/FEC PAC affiliated organizational model or other complex operating environment
- Proven track record in at least some of the following areas: staff development and human resources, strategic financial management, business strategy, strategic planning, and internal control creation and refinement
- Track record of responsible risk management and strategic decision making
- Ability to manage complex projects
- Experienced at staff management, coaching, and development
- Experience managing cross-functional teams to develop and implement systems and processes to increase effectiveness and efficiency
- Working knowledge in at least some of the following areas: non-profit management, finance and accounting, personnel, and administrative functions
- Helpful but not required: Experience with Quickbooks and other financial software
Skills, Characteristics, and Values:
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills, and the ability to translate complex organizational data into clear and simple messages for a wide range of audiences
- Superb interpersonal skills, including the ability to generate respect and trust from colleagues and external constituents
- Staff management and team-building.
- Experience hiring and recruiting talented staff.
- Ability to tackle urgent and complex problems with a collaborative, creative, and strategic approach
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a high degree of collaboration, flexibility, and good cheer
- Ability to track a lot of moving parts and manage complex projects (maintain attention to detail, while keeping the big picture in mind)
- A passion for the work of MoveOn and a desire to continually broaden and deepen the organization's impact
- Likes teamwork, but can work independently day-to-day
- Can plan and manage complex projects under relentless deadlines
- Is low-ego and high-output (like the rest of our team)
- Likes working hard with a hard-working team
- Thrives in a virtual office: communicates well on conference calls, IM and email
Location: Anywhere in the U.S.—MoveOn operates on a virtual office model, collaborating online.
Salary: Salary is highly competitive and benefits include health and dental insurance and four weeks vacation.
To Apply: Click here to submit your application, resume and a cover letter that explains why you are a good fit for the Director of Operations position.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action are equal opportunity employers.